The mission of the university is to serve as a flagship of higher learning through demonstrated and growing excellence in teaching, research, extension,scholarship and creative work in fisheries and ocean studies, comparable with global standards that will benefit the country and the world at large.
- To produce professionally and technically competent manpower in Fisheries and Ocean studies to cater the needs of the fast developing sector.
- Develop entrepreneurship among the fisheries graduates by imparting hands on training and give opportunities to develop management skills through Fisheries Work Experience Programme.
- Undertake research and extension activities in the field of Fisheries and Ocean studies by undertaking research in frontier areas and by promoting interdisciplinary/ inter-departmental/ inter-institutional co-operation.
- Provide employment opportunities for the people especially fisher folk by imparting trainings on modern techniques of fishing, primary handing, preservation, production of value added fishery products, ornamental fish culture, hatchery production of seeds of various cultivable fin and shell fishes and their farming.
- Provide consultancy services so as to put into practice the technologies developed among the entrepreneurs and generate income for the institution.
- Achieve the mission and goals laid down by the University.
- Develop infrastructure facilities and inter-institutional co-operative programmes in order to make the campus the nucleus of the Fisheries and Ocean studies in the world.
- To further the advancement in learning and conduct research in fisheries,ocean studies and allied subjects .
- Impart education in fisheries and ocean studies and allied subjects.
- Formulate new courses and curriculum in fisheries and ocean studies sector in accordance with the technical advances in the respective fields
- Act as a nodal agency to establish relationship with institutions and universities functioning at national and international levels
- Act as a centre of excellence having leading role for HRD in Fisheries and Ocean studies
- Foster and encourage entrepreneurship in Fisheries and Ocean studies.