Directorate of Extension
Directorate of Extension under the Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies ( KUFOS) promotes the development of fisheries sector by way of providing necessary information in aquaculture and allied sectors to the target group. The university provides both technical and financial support to the fish farmers and fisher folk in establishing small scale units, thus creating more employment opportunities and provides livelihood security to them. The demonstration units established by the University in diversified aquaculture practices viz. cage culture, pen culture, ornamental fish culture etc. including post-harvest technologies in identified locations of the State helps in motivating the farmers for adopting various technologies in an ecofriendly and sustainable manner. Such an approach will help in bringing more area under cultivation leading to self-sufficiency in fish production of the State and also ensure better quality product for export. While extending these technologies due emphasis is being given in promoting women friendly technologies with the objective of achieving the women empowerment.
Directorate of Extension is implementing the following extension plan projects aimed at the overall development of the fishing sector.
- Village Adoption for Empowerment and Capacity Building Ensuring Livelihood of Fisherfolk in Central Kerala
- Earn While You Learn (EWYL)
- Establishment of Farm Radio Station for Hastening Fisheries development
- Establishment of Fisheries Technical, Portal and Knowledge Centre
- Farm Advisory Services
- Exhibition Unit
- Setting up of Cage culture units for production and training in two geographical zones of Kerala for further demonstration and popularization of the technology.
- Maintenance of Museum/Aquarium
- Development of Instructional Farm
- Farmers Training Centre
- Model fish processing plant and training Centre